Schockwave's Forum
Welcome, please register or login, thank you.
Schockwave's Forum
Welcome, please register or login, thank you.
Schockwave's Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Schockwave's Forum

A discussion forum of anything from photography to disability, sports, weather, politics, nature, just to name a few.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  ForumsForums  Schockwave's HomepageSchockwave's Homepage  My GuestbookMy Guestbook  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
Latest topics
» German GP Result, Sunday, 12th July 2009
UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeTue 14 Jul 2009 - 15:17 by Schockwave

» British GP Result, Sunday 21st of June 2009
UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeSun 21 Jun 2009 - 9:00 by Schockwave

» Turkish GP, Sunday 7th June 2009
UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeTue 9 Jun 2009 - 16:39 by Schockwave

» Amazing Ball Routine
UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009 - 9:17 by Schockwave

» Bizarre Laws
UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009 - 9:16 by Schockwave

» Bizarre Holidays
UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeSun 31 May 2009 - 9:12 by Schockwave

» Monaco GP Result, Sunday 24th May 2009
UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeTue 26 May 2009 - 15:49 by Schockwave

» UK 'worst electrical recycler'
UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009 - 7:00 by Schockwave

» Call for 'better deal for carers'
UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009 - 6:26 by Schockwave

Guestbook
Free Guestbook
My Guestbook
Forum
Affiliates
free forum

March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Top posters
Schockwave
UK 'worst electrical recycler' I_vote_lcapUK 'worst electrical recycler' I_voting_barUK 'worst electrical recycler' I_vote_rcap 
Mystery
UK 'worst electrical recycler' I_vote_lcapUK 'worst electrical recycler' I_voting_barUK 'worst electrical recycler' I_vote_rcap 
kahuna
Bearhunt
Mr.Stamper
acdcpirate
Counter
Flag Counter
free counters

UK 'worst electrical recycler'

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Schockwave
Site Owner
Site Owner
Schockwave

Number of posts : 78
Warning Level : UK 'worst electrical recycler' Mta0p2
Moods : UK 'worst electrical recycler' Th_wel10
Registration date : 2009-03-07

UK 'worst electrical recycler' Empty
PostSubject: UK ''worst electrical recycler''   UK 'worst electrical recycler' Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009 - 7:00

A study on recycling suggests Britons are the worst in Europe when it comes to recycling electrical equipment.

Computer manufacturer Dell found that fewer than half of UK residents regularly recycled old hardware, compared with more than 80% of Germans.

Within the UK, the Welsh are the worst when it comes to recycling technology; almost 20% have never done so.

It is thought the UK creates enough electrical waste each year to fill Wembley Stadium six times over.

Environmental consultant Tony Juniper said that lack of awareness was a serious issue.

"Governments in every country need to make the disposal of old electrical equipment as accessible and commonplace as recycling old paper, plastics and glass," said the former Friends of the Earth director.

In early May, mobile operator 02 looked at what electrical equipment was inside a typical home. It found that there was an average of 2.4 TVs, 1.6 computers, 2.4 games consoles, 3 mobile phones, and 2.2 MP3 players.

Historic legislation

Introduced by the European Commission in 2002, although not coming into force in the UK until January 2007, the Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive (WEEE) was European legislation designed to "reduce the amount of electrical and electronic equipment being produced and to encourage everyone to reuse, recycle and recover it".

Jean Cox-Kearns, recycling manager with Dell, told the BBC that one of the reasons Britain lagged was because other countries had implemented the WEEE directive two years before.

"The UK had historic legislation that they had difficulty in implementing," she said.

There are concerns that many items that are disposed of - especially computer equipment - still work but have been rendered obsolete by new technology. A number of charities actively collect IT equipment so it can be used in the developing world.

Ms Cox-Kearns acknowledged that was preferable to recycling, although she did have reservations.

"I agree we should maximise the use of computer equipment. However, we need to find out what happens to the equipment after they [the recipients] are finished with them, otherwise it is effectively dumping."

PERCENTAGE WHO DO NOT RECYCLE E-WASTE
Wales: 19%
North-West England 17%
North-East England 15%
East Midlands 15%
London 13%
Scotland 13%
East of England 11%
South-West England 11%
West Midlands 10%
South-East England 9%
Northern Ireland 7%